Easter is a time for togetherness and creating new lasting holiday memories with your loved ones. Who says your dogs can't be a part of your wonderful family traditions? There are so many different ways to involve your pups, here are some tips to have a blast with your fur friend!
1) Easter Egg Hunt:
Where to hold the event:
- In a backyard
- A park
- A beach
- If the weather does not work out, hosting in a smaller group indoors will work
What to Hide:
- Place dog treats or small dog safe toys inside plastic eggs or small gift boxes
- The best eggs are the ones that have connected halves with a tiny hole in them so dogs can sniff them out
- Scatter eggs in areas where dogs are allowed and is safe
- Ensure there are supervisors keeping an eye out and beware of not mixing up the chocolate you use for children's egg hunts with your dog-treat eggs
2) Create a Gift Basket: Surprise your dog with an Easter surprise! Fill it with dog treats and toys and your pup will go wild!
- Buy a cute basket
- Put down tissue paper on the bottom for fluff (don't use smaller filling that the dog can eat or swallow)
- Add in delicious cookies
- Little treats inside plastic eggs
- Squeaky and fluffy toys
- Bandanas, harnesses, bowties, and other accessories
3) Dress Up:
- Bunny ears (headbands, hair clips, etc.) - a classic!
- Easter themed bandanas
- A cute sweater or shirt for Easter dinner
- Props like carrot, duck, and Easter egg toys
4) Bake Goodies for your Pup:
Recipe for Peanut Butter and Pupkin Cookies:
- Ingredients for dough:
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, plus extra for dusting your surface
- Ingredients for icing:
- Cream cheese
- Fresh raspberries
- Fresh blackberries
- Turmeric powder
Step 1: Place the pumpkin puree, peanut butter, and eggs in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixture until well combined, about 1-2 minutes. Add the flour, beating until just combined. If the mixture is too dry, add up to 1/4 cup of water.
Step 2: Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead a couple of times until it comes together. Roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thick and cut out with mini Easter cookie cutters.
Step 3: Place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
Step 4: Melt the cream cheese in the microwave for 5-10 seconds, until it has a yogurt-like consistency. To make pink icing, microwave some fresh raspberries until bubbling. Strain to remove any seeds. Add a couple of drops to the cream cheese.
Step 5: Use the same technique with the blackberries for purple icing. For yellow icing, add a pinch of turmeric powder to the cream cheese.
Step 6: Spread onto the cookies and enjoy!
Do's & Don'ts during Easter:
- Watch out for Fido sugar-free candies and cookies
- Keep Chocolate bunnies out of reach
- Avoid Grapes and Raisins
- Beware of Macadamia Nuts
- Don't leave harmful candy wrappers and objects in the dog's reach
- Don't' forget where you hid the eggs
- Don't share Easter dinner with your pup
We are wishing everyone sunshine, good times, and a very happy Easter! With spring here, we are so excited for all the outdoor activities. Tag us on Instagram @sassywoof if you plan on doing anything listed above!